How do I gmirror slices?

Hansa mythtv at logic-q.nl
Mon Jan 29 12:57:09 UTC 2007

> Van: R. B. Riddick [mailto:arne_woerner at yahoo.com]
> before u go on further, I would like to advise u to do a backup ur data...
>
> u should try to understand first, what the commands do (try "man cpio" for
> example)... Then u should do some exercises in a sub directory (like
> /tmp/blubber) until u feel like u understood it sufficiently...
Will do...

> 4194320+8384512 = 12578832 ==> d ends on the last sector
I understand. Since size(d)+offset(d) = size(ad4s1). This means there is no
space left to store metadata.
Something to keep in mind next time I label a new drive.

> > > Maybe u want to it like this:
> > > 1. fdisk ur new disk first
> > Should I create the the new disk (ad6) slice size exactly as on ad4?
> >
> I dont know... If u want to change the file system sizes: Now is the right
> moment... But if u change it, u have to change it on ad4, too...
Ok. One question pops into mind. I'm transfering / which includes my kernel,
to a new disk (probably with a different setup). this means the kernel file
could be written to a different sector. So I have to tell the bootmgr where
it is located. Don't I?

> > 2. # gmirror label -v -b round-robin gm0 /dev/ad6s1
> >    # gmirror label -v -b round-robin gm0 /dev/ad6s2
> looks good
Except for the 2nd command. It should be gm1 instead of gm0.

> > 3. # dd if=/dev/ad4s3d of=/mnt/netwshare/ad4s3d.backup
> looks not good, because:
Will look into that one.

> > > 4. then setup the gstripe or gconcat.
> > 4. Have not dug into that yet.
> >
> OK - can wait...
I presume gstripe and gconcat like gmirror are using similar ways to store
metadata?
Which of those is the better choice?

> > 5. I guess you mean copying ad4s1a, ad4s1b, ad4s1d and ad4s2d to te
> > gmirror-ed. Can I use dd for that?
> >
> first u should go to single user mode and mount those old file systems
> read-only:
> (aa) single-user (CAVE: 100% service interruption): "kill 1"
> (bb) mount -r /
> (cc) mount -r /dev/ad4s1d
> (dd) mount -r /dev/ad4s2d
> (ee) u dont need to copy the swap partition...
> (ff) newfs /dev/mirror/root
> (gg) mount /dev/mirror/root /mnt
> (hh) cd / ; find . | egrep -v "^\./(usr|var|mnt)/" | cpio -p
> --perserve-modification-time /mnt
> (ii) for /usr and /var(?) similar...
Thanks for your help so far.. Since I've little time this week. I will
probably be porting the disks next weekend.
I will let you know how things went.

Thanks!

-Hansa