clear metadata using dd?

R. B. Riddick arne_woerner at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 26 13:57:25 UTC 2007

--- "Rick C. Petty" <rick-freebsd at kiwi-computer.com> wrote:
> Obviously you've never had a disk go bad.  FreeBSD doesn't handle hardware

Obviously u never had a disk go bad, when put under gmirror. I tried that again
today. At least with `atacontrol detach/attach` (plus write access with dd to
the raw gmirror device; and I waited between attach and detach until the mirror
was sync'ed again) I can still produce funny situations in R6.2: The device
ad3s1b was still there and ad3 was not...
This might be not the fault of gmirror, but it can well lead to a crash, too.

In R6.1 it was possible to disable all access to the gmirror device with
frequent disk failures simulated by gnop (the requests never returned, although
just one disk was "damaged").

Does anyone here have SATA disks? I have heard it is easy to pull their plug
and plug it back in... Any real test results here?

-Arne