gmirror existing installation?

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Jan 25 14:25:45 UTC 2007

Oles Hnatkevych wrote:
 > There's a simple way of gmirroring existing installation.
 >
 > > sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=16           # allow writing to a live filesystem
 > > gmirror label -v gm0 /dev/ad0
 > > # edit /etc/fstab, chane to /dev/mirror/gm0... slices
 > > # add "geom_mirror_load=YES" to /boot/loader.conf
 > > # reboot
 > > gmirror insert gm0 /dev/ad1

I don't recommend to do it that way.  It is better to first
create the mirror on the second (unused) disk, label and
newfs it, then copy the system from ad0 to gm0, then boot
from gm0 on the second disk and insert the first disk into
the mirror.

That's the approach described in the Handbook, I think.

Best regards
   Oliver

"[...]  one observation we can make here is that Python makes
an excellent pseudocoding language, with the wonderful attribute
that it can actually be executed."  --  Bruce Eckel