A beginner project

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Mon Jan 22 13:24:46 UTC 2007

On 01/22/07 07:12, Ivan Voras wrote:
> Eric Anderson wrote:
>
>> Not snapshot like a photo, snapshot like 'point in time copy of storage'.
>>

> I think the "current" problem with geom-based snapshots is how will they
> interact with gjournal - i.e. do you snapshot the journal or not?

I think it only matters if you use UFS, if you care about a consistent
filesystem on the snapshot.  You could probably tie a hook into geom
snapshot to tell gjournal to flush the journal, take the snapshot, and
then continue.  A similar hook (like gjournal has) to flush the buffer
down to the disk would be good to have in geom snapshot also.

I actually think the hard part is keeping track of the snapshotted
blocks, and keeping them in an order that doesn't completely destroy
performance, while still allowing an 'instant' snapshot.  UFS snapshots
take a very very long time on large file systems, so a geom snapshot (to
be useful) should be snappy (pun intended).

Eric