A beginner project

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Mon Jan 22 12:54:28 UTC 2007

On 01/22/07 02:48, Soeren Straarup wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 12:16:22AM -0600, Eric Anderson wrote:
>> On 01/20/07 01:31, Soeren Straarup wrote:
>>> What would be a beignner project within geom?
>>>
>>> Something is acutally going to be used by atleat some.
>>>
>>> I have briefly looked at:
>>> http://www.freebsd.org/projects/ideas/#p-psched
>>>
>>> But are there already someone out there that is working on it?
>>>
>> Make a 'geom taste' function?
>
> Please explain little more about the functionality.

It forces either a re-tasting of all the geom providers.  Also can have
an optional path name of a specific device to re-taste, and I think it
should also work with the other geom classes, so a gmirror taste would
re-taste all the geom mirror providers.

>> Other ideas:
>> - geom snapshots (harder!)
>
> There is ports/sysutils/geomgui (which i wrote)

Not snapshot like a photo, snapshot like 'point in time copy of storage'.

>> - gnop additional options (add latency, etc, to mimic real devices)
>>

> That could be an idea too.

It would be very nice to be able to simulate a real hard disk.

Eric