What does geli attach -a do?

Christian Baer christian.baer at informatik.uni-dortmund.de
Sun Jan 14 00:31:11 UTC 2007

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 21:20:18 +0100 Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:

> It'll tell you exact offset and size where corrupted data were detected.
> It won't help you bring you data back, it's a security feature, not a
> reliability feature, but can be used also to detect silent data
> corruptions.

Does that mean, it could probably tell me what file was affected

>> Does it make sense to use this in combination with a mirror?
> If you're afraid of silent data corruptions, then yes. When one half of
> the mirror will be corrupted and geli will detect it, gmirror will read
> the data from the other half.

I'm not more afraid of those than of any other sort of breakdowns. :-)
These are computers. They work but they also fail from time to time.
I've lost quite a few HDs during the years that I've been working with
computers now. Not all of the HDs went on friendly terms. :-)

Basicly, the information is quite important but subject to constant
changes. That is why I want to mirror the data, so I can have a pretty
good chance of getting the changes back that were made between to
backups.

The question if this made sense in combination with a mirror went in
another direction: Can gmirror detect which drive is holding the "right"
data and retrieve it should a drive die?

> Unfortunately authentication-only mode is not supported in geli at the
> moment, so you have encryption/decription overhead.
> If you don't care about this overhead, and don't care about security,
> this is how you can create such configuration:

Well, actually, I do care for security. Geli is already set up on the
mirrors. I'm a little worried that this feature will however run the
crap out of the CPUs. :-) This is a Sun U60 we are talking about. Not
really what you'd call a CPU-monster. Copying a big file over the
network onto an encrypted partition runs at about 5-6MB/s and uses
80-90% of both CPUs. There aren't many reserves to go around while doing
that.

Regards
Chris