What is gstripe ?

Jeremie Le Hen jeremie at le-hen.org
Sat Jan 13 01:17:05 UTC 2007

Hi list,

Please forgive me, I know this is a dumb question.  I've checked the
manpage, Wikipedia [1], Webopedia [2] and a few other documents,
but I'm still not sure to fully understand the striping concept.

gmirror(8) provides RAID-1 and is very easy to understand.
gconcat(8) is easy to grasp as well.

However, I'm experiencing some difficulties to understand gstripe(8).
I would say it's a kind of smart disk concatenation which stores
block X on disk (X % N), where N is the number of disk in the RAID-0.
This permits faster read/write.

Am I right ?

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_striping
[2] http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/R/RAID.html