geom_raid5 livelock?

CyberLeo Kitsana cyberleo at cyberleo.net
Fri Jan 12 21:32:24 UTC 2007

R. B. Riddick wrote:
> --- CyberLeo Kitsana <cyberleo at cyberleo.net> wrote:
> You could try to activate graid5's debugging by setting the debug level to 2:
>   sysctl kern.geom.raid5.debug=2
> Then u should see the requests in /var/log/messages...
> I would be interested then in those messages during a suspected live lock (just
> wait for that strange condition and then set the debug level to 2 for some
> seconds until u feel u have enough data...)...

http://home.cyberleo.net/cyberleo/workspace/Zip/graid5-testing.png

As shown in top, one rsync and one find process are stuck in biord
waiting for data from the filesystem, while the CPU is otherwise mostly
quiescent. I can't find evidence anywhere of what could be using the
raid5 and mirror providers so much, though.

The frozen processes are one locate database update (find) and one rsync
process copying data from an old backup machine to the new one. The
frozen processes do not respond to attempts to kill them until the
filesystem begins responding.

Also, tuning the sysctl had no effect prior to, nor during, the
livelock. Nothing new appeared in /var/log/messages while set to 1 or 2.

Thanks!

--
Fuzzy love,
-CyberLeo