Recommended gmirror solution with swap?

R. B. Riddick arne_woerner at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 2 02:01:38 PST 2007

--- Ivan Voras <ivoras at fer.hr> wrote:
> Gary Palmer wrote:
>
> > Except in the case where a drive holding some swapped out memory goes bad
> > and the system panics or crashes as a result.  It might not make as
> > much sense for desktops, but if I were (still) building servers I'd
> > mirror everything that the system depended on to run.
>
> Well, yes... though the "only" things lost in this case are the
> processes using the swap :) But you're right in the general case.

Hmm... I wonder what gmirror is good for, when one of its consumers fails...

I just setup this test setting:
1. gnop on ad0s1gd
2. gmirror on ad0s1gd.nop (hardcoded (-h)) and ad0s1ge
3. dd (writes from /dev/urandom to the mirror)
4. gnop configure -v -f 100 ad0s1gd.nop
5. dd becomes unresponsive; CTRL+t says:
load: 0.78  cmd: dd 11034 [physwr] 0.01u 0.68s 0% 612k

I think an infinite page/swap-out transaction is quite bad for a FreeBSD, so
that we will need a reboot anyway...

I think, graid5 (http://home.tiscali.de/cmdr_faako/geom_raid5.tbz) would handle
that better... But I did not test that for some weeks...

Now I will reboot, in order to get rid of the "dd"... :-)

-Arne