The right way to remove disk drive

Fernan Aguero fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar
Wed Feb 14 14:02:01 UTC 2007

+----[ Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd at quip.cz> (14.Feb.2007 08:10):

| Hi all,
|
| what is the right way to remove disk drive from running
| system without
| reboot?
|
| I have Sun Fire X2100 with 2 identical drives in gmirror.

[snipped]

| So what is wrong with manual removing drive?

+----]

To what Poul-Henning replied:

+----[ Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> (14.Feb.2007 08:47):

| Not all ata controller chips actually support hot-plug.

+----]

And not all OSs support hot-plug even when the
underlying controller chips might: as per the Sun Fire X2100
release notes:

"SATA hot plug is supported only for the Windows XP Operating
System (OS). If you wish to change hard disks with Linux or
Solaris OS, you must reboot the system."
http://docs.sun.com/source/819-3722-16/index.html#21924

So it's not only FreeBSD that's missing the 'feature'. I'm
not an expert in low level hardware/driver issues at all ...
but I wonder if this is because of the chipset drivers in
each OS or because of the way the disk management framework
works in each OS ...

Fernan