The right way to remove disk drive

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Wed Feb 14 11:05:58 UTC 2007

Hi all,

what is the right way to remove disk drive from running system without
reboot?

I have Sun Fire X2100 with 2 identical drives in gmirror. One drive is
failing, so I want to replace this drive by another. Drive is no more
used by gmirror (gmirror status shows DEGRADED and running on one drive
only), atacontrol lists the drive attached to channel ata3, so I run
command `atacontrol detach ata3`. As stated in manpage "Devices on the
channel are removed from the kernel". Everything goes fine, system is
running.... but if I pull out the drive tray, system hangs and must be
power cycled.

I had some worse problem with disk drive few month ago and if drive
disappeared completely from system (not visible by gmirror nor
atacontrol), I pulled out failed drive and system was running fine. Then
I replace the drive, system detected the new drive successfuly, then I
start gmirror synchronization... all in few minutes without reboot.

So what is wrong with manual removing drive?

System is 6.2 RELEASE with GENERIC kernel, gmirror loaded from
loader.conf, but previous disk replacement was in time of 6.1 RELEASE.
Is there any known 'new' problems in 6.2?

Miroslav Lachman