gmirror or ata problem

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Feb 13 16:08:06 UTC 2007

Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > In my case it has nothing to do with spin up / spin down.
 > > I do not use ataidle, and the disks are running all the
 > > time.  They don't have to spin up.
 > >
 > > So it must be something else causing the problems.
 >
 > FWIW, I had experienced this before likely because my drives went
 > too warm (I am using gmirror as well).  I've bought a couple of fan
 > racks and the problem hasn't occured since then.

Last week we got a real read error reported on the disk
(with a useful log entry, finally), so we arranged a
replacement disk.  It has been working flawlessly so far.

So maybe it was really the disk causing the trouble.

However, the strange thing is that _no_ ATA errors were
logged at all previously.  If gmirror disconnects a drive
because of ATA trouble (i.e. a read/write error), I would
expect that the ATA driver should report that read/write
error, shouldn't it?

Best regards
   Oliver

Any opinions expressed in this message are personal to the author and may
not necessarily reflect the opinions of secnetix GmbH & Co KG in any way.

cat man du : where Unix geeks go when they die