graid5 or gvinums - bootable?

CyberLeo Kitsana cyberleo at cyberleo.net
Mon Aug 13 11:00:06 UTC 2007

Ulf Lilleengen wrote:
> Yes. This is no problem with mirrors, since it's essentially just to read the
> first sectors of it. However, the other reason is that gmirror stores it's
> metadata at the end, so the loader won't have to care about it. So, booting of a
> gvinum volume will not work, but using another partition for /boot, and gvinum for
> root should work.

With linux, I would agree, and indeed have several machines set up in
this very fashion.

However, FreeBSD appears to make too many assumptions about what resides
where to make this a viable option, such as only booting from the 'a'
partition, and then subsequently mounting it as / regardless of the
contents of the fstab.

Though, you might be able to get away with it by creating a fake root
and init in mfsroot or elsewhere that contains just enough logic to load
modules, build arrays, and then mount the real root and exec the real
init. Sounds like a pain, though.

--
Fuzzy love,
-CyberLeo