graid5 or gvinums - bootable?

CyberLeo Kitsana cyberleo at cyberleo.net
Sun Aug 12 04:31:31 UTC 2007

Howard Goldstein wrote:
> Q: Should a graid5 or gvinum provider be expected to be bootable,
> assuming the prover's partition table has an active bootable partition
> containing a properly bsdlabeled 'a' slice with the /boot subdirectories
> in it (i.e., all of the stuff you normally need in an ordinary, non-geom
>  system to have a bootable slice)?
>
> Teh googling is somewhat helpful indicating that the boot loader can now
> deal with the GEOM'd gvinum as the boot device, and of course it works
> with gmirror but that's not really surprising since that provider
> wouldn't doesn't have its /boot slice striped into ribbons across
> multiple consumers like graid5 and gvinum in raid-5.

I haven't tried with just /boot, but I have a machine with a 1.5GB
mirror across four disks for the root filesystem, with a graid5 across
the remaining space for the other filesystems. That works just fine.

As far as I know, however, no boot loader can understand
software-striped or software-raid5ed filesystems, given that it would
essentially need to implement the relevant geom providers itself.

--
Fuzzy love,
-CyberLeo

Furry Peace! - http://wwww.fur.com/peace/