New GEOM module: geom_xboxhd

Rene Ladan r.c.ladan at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 19:21:29 UTC 2007

Ed Schouten schreef:
> * Rene Ladan <r.c.ladan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Can you confirm that the slices are created if you first plug in the
>> xbox harddisk and kldload the module afterwards?  I once wrote a GEOM
>> module to slice xbox360 media (kern/107707), which only works if you
>> first kldload it and _then_ plug in the media.  This is caused by
>> pp->mediasize == 0 in the taste function.
>
> Yes, it works. The only problem is that kldloading without disconnecting
> the md deadlocks my machine because I guess it is indefinately waiting
> for all dependencies to disappear.
>
>> Note that you'll need a physical harddisk for the test because the
>> behaviour is always correct when using md images.  I suspect that the
>> bug is near /sys/cam/scsi/scsi_da.c
>
> It works in both cases. I performed tests on a 10 GB disk afterwards.
> Thanks for the tips :-)

Strange... in my case loading the module afterwards didn't work either
when burning the image to a CD-RW and using that CD as the physical
medium.  That was back in January 2007.

Both geom_xboxhd and geom_xbox360 check pp->mediasize in their taste
functions right after setting up the GEOM trace, so their behaviour
should be similar.

Regards,
Rene
--
GPG fingerprint = E738 5471 D185 7013 0EE0  4FC8 3C1D 6F83 12E1 84F6
(subkeys.pgp.net)

"It won't fit on the line."
		-- me, 2001