New GEOM module: geom_xboxhd

Rink Springer rink at freebsd.org
Sun Apr 15 11:17:06 UTC 2007

Hi Ed,

On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 09:04:36AM +0200, Ed Schouten wrote:
> > Have you tried what sysinstall(8) does when it sees such a layout? It'd
> > be a shame if it nuked the partition table... :-)
>
> Not yet :-)

A friend of mine, Dwight Berendse (added to CC), has just tried this
using my soon-to-be-released new 6-STABLE FreeBSD/xbox CD. It worked
nicely on a newly-prepared Xbox harddisk, but sysinstall(8) does not use
the information.

A quick inspection (Argh, I should study and not code, dammit...) yields
that libdisk(3) actually ignores the XBOXHD partitions (refer to
/usr/src/lib/libdisk/open_disk.c); and thus, sysinstall(8) will not see
them.

Therefore, even though the module works, I think we'd need some extra
effort to make this behave nicely with sysinstall(8) :-/

Regards,

--
Rink P.W. Springer                                - http://rink.nu
"It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But yet a far more terrible thing,