volume management

Gergely CZUCZY phoemix at harmless.hu
Tue Apr 10 12:03:29 UTC 2007

On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 01:58:33PM +0200, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 01:37:02PM +0200, Gergely CZUCZY wrote:
> > The mot accurate description would be the functionality
> > of linux's LVM in the scope of volume management, that's why
> > i had given this subject to this email/topic.
> >
> > I have a storage pool (the last part of a disk), from which
> > i want to chop little pieces for services, and i want to be
> > able to increment these little pieces whenever needed.
> >
> > Like i have a pool of 100G. i have two services, i allocate
> > 10G and 20G for them. 30G is used. Upon need, i allocate a bit
> > more first to service1, then it will have 15G of space
> > available. After this, the other one might need a bit more
> > space, so i give it a bit more, let's say 8G, and it will
> > have 28G of space.
> >
> > It's really what i have described here several times. Having
> > a storage pool, from which volume management can be done. Dynamic
> > allication of storage areas from the same pool, and having the
> > abilit to increase the size of the previously allocated storage
> > areas when it's needed. It's kinda like what's Linux's LVM's
> > main feature. And i'm a bit surprised that FreeBSD doesn't
> > have a similar thing.
>
> Yeah... If you can afford running 7-CURRENT, you should really try ZFS.
> Even if you don't want to use ZFS file systems, you can still use ZFS
> ZVOLs and run UFS on top of them.
The fact is, i want to run this on a production box. Or, to be more
precise, i will want to. Currently i'm thinking of awaiting of 7-STABLE,
and testing the zfs layer there as much as possible to recover
any relevant bugs, and hope that they get fixed till 7.0-RELEASE.

I don't want to run -CURRENT, not even inhouse boxes, and especially
not on production boxes, where we have to provide 99.9%
I'm afraid of development code, sorry. I know FreeBSD's QA is great,
but it's still development.

> Not to mention you have fast UFS snapshots, clones and other cool
> stuff:)
Yes, i know this. I already use most of these things, incremental dumps,
snapshots, restoring, so on.

> The hardest part of ZFS was ZPL (ZFS POSIX Layer), which only comes into
> play for ZFS file systems and is not used when using ZVOLs.
I'd like to check it out in 7-STABLE as soon as it gets branched :)

Bye,

Gergely Czuczy
mailto: gergely.czuczy at harmless.hu

--
Weenies test. Geniuses solve problems that arise.