volume management

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Mon Apr 9 15:24:26 UTC 2007

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 04:38:18PM +0200, Gergely CZUCZY wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 09:28:35AM -0500, Eric Anderson wrote:
> > >No, it's expected this fall.
> > >There is no other solution.
> >
> > How about gconcat?  You could create a mirror, then gconcat another mirror, etc, extending the GEOM.
> >  Then run growfs on that extended volume.  Wouldn't that work?
> why gmirror? gconcat somehow could be used for this,
> but
> 1) i see no attach operation for gconcat to add
> providers on the fly.
> 2) this would require to always create subpartitions/bsdlabels
> on the disk, and add a bit more on need.

Slow down:) Implementing off-line 'attach' operation is trivial and
on-line 'attach' operation is also easy, but because you need to unmount
file system anyway, off-line attach is ok.

Let's assume you have currently two disks: da0 and da1.

	# gconcat label foo da0 da1
	# newfs /dev/concat/foo
	# mount /dev/concat/foo /foo

and you want to extend your storage by adding two disks: da2 and da3:

	# umount /foo
	# gconcat stop foo
	# gconcat label foo da0 da1 da2 da3
	# growfs /dev/concat/foo
	# mount /dev/concat/foo /foo

That's all.

You can operate on mirrors too:

	# gmirror label foo0 da0 da1
	# gconcat label foo mirror/foo0
	# newfs /dev/concat/foo
	# mount /dev/concat/foo /foo

And extending:

	# gmirror label foo1 da2 da3
	# umount /foo
	# gconcat stop foo
	# gconcat label foo mirror/foo0 mirror/foo1
	# growfs /dev/concat/foo
	# mount /dev/concat/foo /foo