volume management

Gergely CZUCZY phoemix at harmless.hu
Sun Apr 8 18:19:19 UTC 2007

On Sun, Apr 08, 2007 at 08:14:15PM +0200, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Gergely CZUCZY <phoemix at harmless.hu> writes:
> > I'm looking for a disk organization, volume-management feature in
> > freebsd, something like LVM-like in a kind of way.  Currently on our
> > linux boxes we are using LVM to organize the disks under our
> > content-drives. This means, we allocate a we-think-it-will-be-enough
> > space for a service from a storage pool for each service on the
> > actual box, and if later on the givenm space turns out not to be
> > enough, we increase that amount and grow the FS on it.
>
> ZFS in -CURRENT does that and more.  I also have unfinished code for a
> GEOM-based LVM, but none of FreeBSD's file systems support on-the-fly
> resizing, so ZFS is really your best option.
yeap, i know about ZFS, as i assume, it will need around 1.5-2 years
from now, when 7.0-RELEASE will be ready. and with that i'm not sure
ZFS will be a stable feature, for no it's experimental.
and i'm looking for a solution for a production environment within
a year.
on-the-fly growfs is not required. stopping the service for a few
minutes can be done, since we've got enough redundancy in our
server farm.
and UFS2 has growfs(8), that would be enough.

> DES
cool signo :)

Bye,

Gergely Czuczy
mailto: gergely.czuczy at harmless.hu

--
Weenies test. Geniuses solve problems that arise.