gmirror, removing disk and mounting gives strange error

Johan Ström johan at stromnet.org
Sat Oct 7 14:13:31 PDT 2006

Hi

I just gmirrod (gm1) two drives (ad8 and ad12) on a box. Working
great and all. Now I needed some extra space while moving around
files, and I removed ad8:

gmirror remove gm1 ad8

Working fine, gmirror reporting running complete on ad12 only. nice.
Now I try to mount one of the partitions on ad8 (ad8s1g):

crus /# mount /dev/ad8s1g /mnt
mount: /dev/ad8s1g: Operation not permitted

Huh.. wtf.. ok, so I check dmesg:

WARNING: R/W mount of /storage/gm1s1g denied.  Filesystem is not
clean - run fsck

gm1?? I tought it was removed from gm1..

# gmirror dump /dev/ad8
Can't read metadata from /dev/ad8: Invalid argument.

dumping ad12 for example gives me correct info.. so it seems ad8 is
cleared correctly.. trying to run clear on ad8 gives same errors as
above.

Okay, so the FS might not be clean since I removed the disk while the
FS was mounted.. But why does it report gm1s1g?? thats the mountpoint
of my gm1 mirror (or rather the s1g on the gm1 mirror).. Confusing ;)
Do I dare to do a newfs on the disk, or will it somehow link back to
the old mirror and wipe that too? Not something I want to risk.. ;)

The other partitions on gm1 is a,b,d,e,f, system partitions from
which the system is running currently..

Any clues?
Thanks!

Johan