FreeBSD 6.3 Raid1 (geom) configuration problem with multiple partitions

Daniel Bristot de Oliveira danielbristot at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 08:53:49 PDT 2006

2006/10/2, Eric Anderson <anderson at centtech.com>:
> On 10/02/06 05:52, t.blum at home.nl wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I recently switched using FreeBSD on my server (used Linux before). I've a problem with configuring geom as raid1 for my two identical hd's. I started with installing a FreeBSD 6.3 on my ad0 disk. The install uses 1 slice with the default FreeBSD partition table:
> >
> > ad0s1a (root)
> > ad0s1b (swap)
> > ad0s1d (var)
> > ad0s1e (tmp)
> > ad0s1f (usr)
> >
> > Everything is working and at this point I started configuring geom with help of this: http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/mirror/.  tutorial (approach1). The following commands worked like a charm (second disk is ad3):
> >
> > dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ad3 bs=512 count=79
> > gmirror label -v -n -b round-robin gm0 /dev/ad3
>
> So far, you've created a mirror (gm0) with one device in it (ad3).
>
> > gmirror load fdisk -v -B -I /dev/mirror/gm0
>
> I think you meant:
>
> gmirror load
> fdisk -v -B -I /dev/mirror/gm0
>
> > bsdlabel -w -B /dev/mirror/gm0s1
> > bsdlabel -e /dev/mirror/gm0s1
>
> So now you've told bsdlabel to create a default label, and install
> bootstrap.  Then you've edited the label, but we aren't sure how.  You
> should send the bsdlabel output here for us to look at.
>
> > But when I look at /dev/mirror/ it only created 2 partitions, gm0s1a and gm0s1c so the following commands:
> >
> > newfs -U /dev/mirror/gm0s1*
> > mount /dev/mirror/gm0s1* /mnt/*
> >
> > Will not work for gm0s1d (var) gm0s1e (tmp) and gm0s1f (usr). Does anybody know what I am doing wrong?
>
> Well, I think what you really are wanting, is to mirror your ad0 disk to
> ad3.  In that case, I think you want to make ad0 the first device in the
> gm0 mirror, and make ad3 the second.  Then, you'd need to change your
> fstab entries, and add geom_mirror_load="YES" to /boot/loader.conf so it
> would be recognized on boot.
>
> Eric
>

> --

My english is not very good, but,

Dru Lavigne have a article about this: Using Software RAID-1 with
FreeBSD, see this link:
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2005/11/10/FreeBSD_Basics.html

If you understand Brazilian Portuguese,
http://www.fug.com.br/content/view/119/77/

Your problem is the order where the discs are inserted in the mirror.
First insert the disc ad0, and after the disc ad3.

--
Daniel Bristot de Oliveira
FreeBSD Users Group - Brazil

R João Paez 409 Ap 202