GELI compatibility with GBDE

Terje Elde terje+geom at elde.net
Tue Feb 28 12:37:40 PST 2006

Jack T wrote:
> My question is: can GELI access
> a partition that was encrypted by GBDE?

No clear and definitive answer so far, so to sum it up:  No, they're not
compatible, and you cannot access a GBDE partition from GELI.  It's not
just a question of algorithm choice, there are a lot of other factors as
well, such as how the encryption algorithms are used, on-disk layout etc.

I wouldn't hold my breath for them to become compatible either.  Making
GELI read GBDE partitions would be like reimplementing GBDE (or large
parts) inside GELI.  No point, since we already have a GBDE.  It'd
probably be easier to look into making GBDE support the features you
want, than make GELI read GBDE.

Terje