Recommended gmirror solution with swap?

Alastair Watts awatts at pett.com.au
Sun Dec 31 22:52:07 PST 2006

Michael Knoll wrote:

> I am planning on converting my FreeBSD machine to use gmirror on two
> 40gig drives.  Reading the handbook and other sites with instructions
> on configuring gmirror, I notice they all disable swap.  Is this
> acceptable?  Is it expected swap be on another drive?  If so, is there
> a solution which I can keep the swap on the mirror. as I don't have
> another drive?

I'm running the following setup:

 > gmirror status
       Name    Status  Components
mirror/gm0  COMPLETE  ad0
                       ad2

 > swapinfo
Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity
/dev/mirror/gm0s1b   1048576      784  1048576     0%

 > mount
/dev/mirror/gm0s1a on / (ufs, local)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
/dev/mirror/gm0s1d on /tmp (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/mirror/gm0s1e on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
devfs on /usr/var/named/dev (devfs, local)

Can someone confirm if this is not what should be done? It has appeared
to work fine (having swap mirrored is a good thing from a keeping the
system alive point of view), and I would be interested to hear why it
shouldn't be done.

Cheers,

Al