gmirror issues (fdisk?, disklabel?, newfs?)

R. B. Riddick arne_woerner at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 27 10:18:13 PST 2006

Fernan Aguero wrote:
> gmirror label -n -v -b round-robin gm0s3 /dev/ad6s3 => SUCCESS
> Metadata value stored on /dev/ad6s3
> Done.
> gmirror load => SUCCESS
>
> Next I try to create partitions on the newly created gm0s3:
>
> bsdlabel -w -B /dev/mirror/gm0s3 => FAIL
> bsdlabel: write /dev/mirror/gm0s3: Operation not permitted
>
> Why is this failing?

On R6.1 it works like it should:

neo# gmirror label -n -v -b round-robin fook md0
Metadata value stored on md0.
Done.
neo# bsdlabel -w -B /dev/mirror/fook
neo# gmirror status
       Name    Status  Components
mirror/fook  COMPLETE  md0
neo# bsdlabel /dev/mirror/fook
# /dev/mirror/fook:
8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  a:    32751       16    unused        0     0
  c:    32767        0    unused        0     0         # "raw" part, don't
edit

-Arne