panic when loading mirror

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Sat Apr 29 14:57:05 UTC 2006

On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 02:12:26PM -0300, Fernan Aguero wrote:
+> Hi,
+>
+> I'm playing with gmirror on a box with a pair of spare
+> slices before installing a production box.
+>
+> The box is running 6.1-RC (i386), and has two identical
+> disks (ad0, ad2) already sliced and partitioned:
+>
+> ad0:
+> ad0s1	unused slice
+> ad0s2	ad0s2b (swap), ad0s2a (/), ad0s2d (/var), ad0s2e (/usr) ...
+>
+> ad2:
+> ad2s1	unused slice
+> ad2s2	ad2s2b (swap), ad2s2d (/tmp), ad2s2e (/usr/ports) ...
+>
+> My idea was to use the unused slices (identical in size) to
+> set up a geom mirror.
+>
+> After reading the man pages and the following guides
+> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2005/11/10/FreeBSD_Basics.html?page=1
+> http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/mirror/
+> this is what I did:
+>
+> # gmirror label -v -b round-robin gm0s1 ad0s1 ad2s1
+> Metadata value stored on ad0s1.
+> Metadata value stored on ad2s1.
+> Done.
+>
+> But then attempting to load the mirror, causes a system
+> panic. I'm copying the messages by hand, so excuse any typo.
+> Also, I'm copying what I see on the screen ... I can't know
+> if there were other errors before the ones I'm transcribing
+> (capturing the session with script(1) doesn't help here).
+>
+> # gmirror load
+> WARNING: Expected rawoffset 0, found 63
+> WARNING: Device name truncated! (mirror/gsm0s1ccccccccccccc...c)
+> [ this is repeated several times. gsm0s1 is followed above
+> by 51 'c's) ]
+>
+> Fatal double fault:
+> eip = 0xc04a7982
+> esp = 0xe2244ff4
+> ebp = 0xe2245038
+> panic: double fault
+>
+>
+> My questions:
+>
+> did I do something wrong? (maybe the system shouldn't let me
+> instead of entering into a panic ...)
+>
+> Was this caused because I used already sliced and
+> partitioned disks? The second example in the guide written
+> by rse uses slices ...

You should configure both slices and partitions on mirrored provider.
To fix it you need to clear the old metadata first.

+> Or is this something that is expected to happen and should
+> be fixed?

This shouldn't act that way and panic your box for sure...