failure replacing fail hard disk

yance at exemail.com.au yance at exemail.com.au
Fri Apr 28 07:02:50 UTC 2006

> On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 09:33:36PM +1000, yance at exemail.com.au wrote: +>
> On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 03:04:35PM +1000, yance at exemail.com.au wrote:
+> > +> Hi all,
> +> > +>
> +> > +> I setup geom on FreeBSD following this article
> +> > +> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2005/11/10/FreeBSD_Basics.html
+> > +>
> +> > +> With two 80 GB seagate HDD - the primary master is ad0 and
secondary
> +> > +> master is ad2
> +> > +>
> +> > +> So:
> +> > +> #gmirror label -v -b round-robin gm0 /dev/ad0
> +> > +> .
> +> > +> .reboot
> +> > +> .
> +> > +> #gmirror insert gm0 /dev/ad2
> +> > +>
> +> > +> However, when I put ad2 as ad0 and put a fresh HDD as ad2, GEOM
failed
> +> > +> load.
> +> >
> +> > You wait for synchronization process to finish, right?
> +> >
> +> > +> I did run "gmirror forget gm0" command before shutting down and
+> > replacing
> +> > +> the HDD.
> +> >
> +> > 'forget' command is when the disk you want to replace is
> disconnected.
> +> > Could you increase debug level to 1 (kern.geom.mirror.debug) and
send me
> +> > the output from the console?
> +> >
> +> > --
> +> > Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       http://www.wheel.pl +> >
pjd at FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org +> >
FreeBSD committer                         Am I Evil? Yes, I Am! +> >
> +>
> +> Hi Pawel,
> +>
> +> This is the correct debug message.
>
> Everything looks fine. So can you describe "GEOM failed to load" more
precisely and send me the same debug from when it happens?

> --
> Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       http://www.wheel.pl
> pjd at FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org FreeBSD
committer                         Am I Evil? Yes, I Am!

Hi Pawel,

Maybe I did the wrong way when I tried to simulate a failed hard disk.
Following was what I did:

0. GEOM is installed, rebooted, synchronised
1. Assume (pretend) ad0 crashed.
2. gmirror forget ad0 -> maybe I should not do this since it's still
connected
3. I shutdown the PC
4. Remove ad0
5. Replace ad0 with ad2 - now ad2 is ad0, i.e. connected to the primary
master channel
5. Put a fresh hdd as ad2 - secondary master.
6. Boot the PC
7. The following message appear:
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/gm0s1a
.
.
.
Manual root filesystem specification:
            e.g. ufs:da0s1a
  ?             List valid disk boot devices
  <empty line>       Abort manual input

mountroot>

8. mountroot>ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
9. The PC booted normally

To be clear: there is no message stating  GEOM fail to load, I am sorry
for the misleading info.

dmesg of FreeBSD 5.3
GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0 created (id=2125638583).
GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0: provider ad0 detected.
GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0: provider ad0 activated.
GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0: provider mirror/gm0 launched.
GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0 already configured.
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/mirror/gm0s1a

dmesg of FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE
ad0: 76318MB <Seagate ST3802110A 3.AAD> at ata0-master UDMA100
ad2: 76318MB <Seagate ST3802110A 3.AAD> at ata1-master UDMA100
GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0 created (id=2885959259).
GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0: provider ad0 detected.
GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0: provider ad2 detected.
Root mount waitingGEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0: provider ad2 activated.
 for: GMIRRORGEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0: provider ad0 activated.
GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0: provider mirror/gm0 launched.

Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/mirror/gm0s1a

Notice the 6.0 dmesg, the last few lines looks bungled, and the last line
says "Trying to mount root ..."

Anything abnormal here?

Kind regards,

Yance

p/s: I am sorry for sending the email directly to you Pawel, I should have
looked before I send the emails.