failure replacing fail hard disk

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Thu Apr 27 09:03:57 UTC 2006

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 03:04:35PM +1000, yance at exemail.com.au wrote:
+> Hi all,
+>
+> I setup geom on FreeBSD following this article
+> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2005/11/10/FreeBSD_Basics.html
+>
+> With two 80 GB seagate HDD - the primary master is ad0 and secondary
+> master is ad2
+>
+> So:
+> #gmirror label -v -b round-robin gm0 /dev/ad0
+> .
+> .reboot
+> .
+> #gmirror insert gm0 /dev/ad2
+>
+> However, when I put ad2 as ad0 and put a fresh HDD as ad2, GEOM failed to
+> load.

You wait for synchronization process to finish, right?

+> I did run "gmirror forget gm0" command before shutting down and replacing
+> the HDD.

'forget' command is when the disk you want to replace is disconnected.
Could you increase debug level to 1 (kern.geom.mirror.debug) and send me
the output from the console?