Replacing Failed Drive... with gvinum... again

Chris Jones cdjones-freebsd-geom at novusordo.net
Tue Apr 25 05:18:22 UTC 2006

On 18-Apr-06, at 12:47 PM, Thomas Coppens wrote:
> More users are interested in this issue. Could someone give some
> directions
> on how to replace a failed drive with gvinum (RAID 1 and 5)?

Hi, Thomas --- I think something along the following lines should work:

   0.  Install new disk, ensuring it has the same device name as the
old one.

   1.  Partition / slice new disk in the same way as the old one, or
to taste.

   2.  'gvinum saveconfig' should write the gvinum configuration to
the new disk.

   3.  'gvinum start' or 'gvinum rebuildparity' as needed to rebuild
the disk.

With that said, I haven't tried this, and I don't have any equipment
immediately at hand with which to test this, but it seems plausible.

Cheers,

Chris