geli not recognizing passphrase on boot (was: geli not prompting for password on boot)

Adam Wood aswood at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 11:38:39 UTC 2006

On 4/10/06, Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd at freebsd.org> wrote:
> +> I just built a new kernel with the latest sources (6.1-RC) and now it
> +> doesn't register any keyboard input at all when asking for the
> +> passphrase. All of my -lock keys work, and I can scroll up and down,
> +> but when typing letters nothing shows up and enter won't input a
> +> newline.
> +>
> +> I tried with both the geom_eli.ko and compiling it directly into the kernel.
> +>
> +> I can still boot the 6.1-BETA4 kernel and it will at least pick up the
> +> keypresses every third keystroke or so.
> +>
> +> Any ideas? It only stops recognizing input when asking for a
> +> passphrase at boot time. At all other times it works as expected...
> +> Could it be there's an issue with -b?

> I'd suspect kbdmux(4), could you try to boot choosing "Safe" mode from
> menu?

No dice, still no input was registered by GELI. Although, when I try
"Safe" mode, I see the following:

unknown: <PNP0401> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0700> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0f13> can't assign resources (irq)
unknown: <PNP0c01> can't assign resources (memory)
unknown: <PNP0303> can't assign resources (port)