geli not recognizing passphrase on boot (was: geli not prompting for password on boot)

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Mon Apr 10 05:43:32 UTC 2006

On Sun, Apr 09, 2006 at 11:42:53PM -0500, Adam Wood wrote:
+> On 4/8/06, Adam Wood <aswood at gmail.com> wrote:
+> > On 4/8/06, Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd at freebsd.org> wrote:
+> > > Are you doing this via serial console maybe? I saw such problems there.
+> > > I think this is even on TODO list somewhere on releng site.
+>
+> > Nope, regular old keyboard. Also, once it boots, there are no problems
+> > with the keyboard not detecting keypresses. Very odd, indeed! Thank
+> > you for your assistance, though, it is now working like a champ!
+>
+> I just built a new kernel with the latest sources (6.1-RC) and now it
+> doesn't register any keyboard input at all when asking for the
+> passphrase. All of my -lock keys work, and I can scroll up and down,
+> but when typing letters nothing shows up and enter won't input a
+> newline.
+>
+> I tried with both the geom_eli.ko and compiling it directly into the kernel.
+>
+> I can still boot the 6.1-BETA4 kernel and it will at least pick up the
+> keypresses every third keystroke or so.
+>
+> Any ideas? It only stops recognizing input when asking for a
+> passphrase at boot time. At all other times it works as expected...
+> Could it be there's an issue with -b?

I'd suspect kbdmux(4), could you try to boot choosing "Safe" mode from
menu?