geli not recognizing passphrase on boot (was: geli not prompting for password on boot)

Adam Wood aswood at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 17:12:56 UTC 2006

On 4/8/06, Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd at freebsd.org> wrote:
> +> 7. Created bsdlabel on new, encrypted disk (bsdlabel -w /dev/ad0).
> You should bsdlabel -w /dev/ad0.eli.

Oops. That was a mistake in my directions. I had actually used
bsdlabel -w /dev/ad0.eli.

> +> 15. Edited boot/loader.conf and added geom_eli_load="YES" and
> +> kern.geom.eli.debug=1.

> Please add kern.geom.eli.visible_passphrase=1 to the loader.conf as
> well.

> It doesn't. Try to enable visible_passphrase tunable and see if it gets
> the passphrase you type.

How weird! It seems to not be detecting keypresses. I had to hit the
key several times for it to register. Is there a reason for this? It
doesn't do this at any other time, so I don't think it is the
keyboard...