geli not prompting for password on boot

Adam Wood aswood at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 01:33:56 UTC 2006

Hello,

I've recently began researching GELI and disk-encryption altogether
and have run into a problem.

I've created a bootable media with the 6.0-RELEASE kernel with all the
standard modules. It also has geom_eli_load="YES" in loader.conf. I
also have the following /etc/fstab in the boot media:

# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
/dev/ad0.elib           none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/ad0.elia           /               ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/ad0.elie           /tmp            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ad0.elif           /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ad0.elid           /var            ufs     rw              2       2

I created /dev/ad0.eli via the following:

geli init -b -l 256 /dev/ad0

and the partitions:

bsdlabel -w /dev/ad0.eli
bsdlabel -e /dev/ad0.eli

However, when I boot, I can see that geom_eli is loaded, but it does
not ever ask me for the password. I believe that is the point of the
-b argument I supplied to the geli init command.

When I boot I am greeted with the following error:

Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad0.elia

Manual root filesystem specification:
                                 eg. ufs:da0s1a
?                           List valid disk boot devices
<empty line>          Abort manual input

mountroot>

Any help you could provide would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Adam Wood