Having problems, when writing to a gmirrored filesystem

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Mon Apr 3 17:21:52 UTC 2006

On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 06:51:09PM +0200, Andreas Zymny wrote:
+> Hello all,
+>
+> I had a long time ago two 80 GB harddrives gmirrored. Because the space
+> was not enough, I bought two 250 GB harddrivs. I exchanged one of both
+> 80 GB with one 250 GB harddrive, and put the 250 GB into the mirror.
+> After the sync was finished, I exchanged the secong 80 GB HD. Then I
+> have booted from the first hd (without geom loaded) to resize the slice
+> (I reserved the last half cylinder for the geom data) using fdisk, and
+> increase the last filesystem to the end of the slice (with disklabel and
+> growfs).
+>
+> I launched the mirror, and all was working fine for a few weeks. Then I
+> had the idea to copy some GB of stuff to the big filesystem, and as
+> result my FreeBSD freezes, and reboots - without writing any to the
+> logfiles.
+>
+> Here are some data:
+>
+> ad4: 238475MB <Seagate ST3250823NS 5.01> at ata2-master SATA150
+> ad6: 238475MB <Seagate ST3250823NS 5.01> at ata3-master SATA150
+>
[...]
+> When I work with /var (the last filesystem, currently only 20% in use)
+> my FreeBSD freezes and reboots. Than, I can't write any more data on
+> /var, or remove some files ):
+>
+> I checked the filesystems with fsck, I had built a new /var with newfs,
+> I had upgraded my BIOS (it knows the 250 GB harddisks now as 250 GB
+> drives), nothing helped.
+>
+> I booted without the gmirror from ad4, and with a small script I wrote
+> /var full (100% usage), and all was fine. When I try to do this with
+> gm4, it crashes (with only ad4 in the mirror, or with ad4 and ad6 in the
+> mirror).
+>
+> My system is a FreeBSD 6.0 prerelease.
+>
+>
+> Any ideas, whats wrong?

Could you send output of: