GEOM's RAID level support

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 7 23:58:05 PDT 2005

On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 02:35:21AM +0100, Adrian Wontroba wrote:
+> The end result looks like:
+>
+> bash-2.05b# gmirror status
+>       Name    Status  Components
+> mirror/gm0  COMPLETE  ad4a
+>                       ad6a
+>                       ad8a
+>                       ad10a

Isn't that waste of space?
I see your /var/ file system is the same size as / file system, so
creating two mirrors (ad4a+ad6a) for / and (ad8a+ad10a) for /var/ will
save you some space.

+> I set the system up with a Makefile and some initial disk labels
+> (below my sig) and lots of trial and error, executing make zap, make
+> label_disks, etc.  No doubt less than perfect, but it worked for me.
+>
+> At work, I've developed a makefile based version of RSE's "single disk
+> to two disk" approach.  If there is any interest, I'll ask my boss if I
+> can release it.

Nice idea, but I think at this point it is too much specific for you
configuration. It'd be much useful when it will be more general somehow.

+> Is anybody doing anything about:
+> Making systinstall GEOM aware?

Yes, Craig Rodrigues (rodrigc@) is working on it.

+> Putting RSE's excellent instructions in the handbook?

Not sure about this one.