GEOM's RAID level support

Danny Howard dannyman at toldme.com
Thu Oct 6 13:27:00 PDT 2005

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 10:16:16PM +0200, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 01:08:02PM -0700, Danny Howard wrote:

> +> Has anyone a recipe for a RAID1,0 bootstrap? :)
>
> Forget it. Everything which splits the data across disks will not work.
> With software RAID you can operate on disks, slices, partitions, etc.
> no limits here. I'd suggest creating small RAID1 on top of small
> partitions for the root file system (or at least for /boot/ directory,
> which is minimum).

Well, I have RAID1 systems ...

It seems reasonable to conclude that one could set up / as a RAID1 on
the first pair of disks, and bootstrap far enough to include swap, /var,
and /usr from a RAID10 stretched across a full-disk set.  It just sounds
somewhat tricky to set it all up, is all, so if someone has grokked out
a recipe ... :)

-danny