GBDE and write_sector-shutdown-write_keys race.

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Tue Mar 15 00:14:53 PST 2005

In message <20050315081038.GD9291 at darkness.comp.waw.pl>, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wr
ites:

>Now, there can be a race like this:
>
>	write sector data
>	               <- power failure here
>	write new sector keys

Guys,  I've said it before and I'll say it again:  My hardware, even
the cheapest of it, is far more reliable than OpenOffice.

I am not going to do anything of the sort which Pawel proposes because
_if_ I wanted to handle this issue, I would do it with journaling which
would also bring a lot of cryptographic benefit.

But again, I'm not even planing on touching this one in the first place.

If you want to write your own disk encryption, by all means go for it.