gmirrored boot drives locks up during buildworld

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 14 11:06:54 PST 2005

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 01:46:15PM -0500, Michael Boers wrote:
+> I recently installed FreeBSD 5.3 on a machine to be my primary mysql
+> server.  The machine failed after about 3 weeks of heavy use.  The
+> machine did not panic, it just froze and some random characters
+> appeared on the console.  A reboot restored the system for another few
+> weeks.  On the third failure I took it out of production.
+>
+> The machine consists of a Intel Pentium 4 EE HT with a pair of 80
+> gigabyte IDE gmirrored boot drives and a pair of 250 gigabyte IDE
+> gmirror data drives.
+>
+> With the machine out of production, I used
+>
+> while (true) do make clean; make buildworld; done
+>
+> to exercise the machine until it failed.  Usually within three days.  I
+> swapped video cards, memory, hard drives, and played with bios settings
+> to no avail.  Finally I determined that when I ran without using
+> gmirror, the machine would build indefinitely.
+>
+> Finally, I tried the buildworld test on a completely different (amd vs
+> intel, scsi vs ide disks) machine and it failed in less than 3 hours.
+>
+> Because the system freezes rather than panics, I have no diagnostic
+> information to provide.
+>
+> If this is a possible gmirror bug, please let me know if there is any
+> other information I can provide.  I am very interested in using gmirror
+> but I want to make sure it is safe.  Please feel free to call me at the
+> below number if necessary.

Could increase kern.geom.mirror.debug to 1?
Could you turn on HTT and compile your kernel with MP_WATCHDOG (you should
also set debug.watchdog to 1)?