gmirror metadata

Loren M. Lang lorenl at alzatex.com
Wed Mar 9 23:24:57 GMT 2005

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 05:43:49PM -0500, Paul Mather wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 21:22 +0100, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 03:03:33PM +0100, Michael Riexinger wrote:
> > +> Hi,
> > +>
> > +> i have a hp dl320 with an integrated raid controller. I don't want to
> > +> use that, instead i want to use gmirror. To use the 2 IDE drives, I
> > +> configured 2 raid0 arrays (each with 1 drive) in the controller's bios.
> > +> Now i wanted to use gmirror, labeled the second drive. When I did a
> > +> reboot, the raid controller's bios seems to overwrite the gmirror
> > +> metadata with its own metadata. Is it impossible to use gmirror witch
> > +> such a configuration?
> >
> > I'll be very odd if controller's BIOS overwrite disk data.
>
> Actually, I had the same type of thing happen to me.  I put a LSI
> MegaRAID IDE 100 that was lying around into my system and attached my
> existing geom_mirrored drives to it.  I didn't want to use the drives as
> an ATA RAID, and never set them up as that in the RAID BIOS.  I simply
> wanted to upgrade from my onboard ATA 33 to the ATA 100 speed the card
> supported, to get faster disk I/O.
>
> To my surprise and regret, my system wouldn't boot properly (couldn't
> locate the root filesystem) because the ATA RAID card had spammed its
> metadata over the geom_mirror metadata, and my drives were no longer
> detected as a geom_mirror.

I believe one difference between this and Micheal's situation is that,
as I understand it, you created the mirror with a normal ide controller,
then attached it to the raid controller after that, where Micheal
labelled it while it was under the raid controller.  A raid controller
might reserve a sector or track for it's own meta-data, but it should
still provide a slightly smaller disk that would be completely
transparent.  You couldn't see the raid controller's meta-data sectors
nor would any sectors you see or write to be modified by the raid
controller.