ggatec reporting false info / not exiting correct?

Brian McCann bjmccann at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 10:05:23 PST 2005

     Hi all.  I'm working on getting gmirror to work over ggate
connections..and it's working well...just trying to break it and make
recovery situations.  However, I've discovered what I believe to be a
flaw in ggatec.  I had PC1 running ggatec and PC2 running ggated.  PC2
was exporting /dev/da1s1d.  I had gmirror on PC1 setup with
/dev/da1s1d and /dev/ggate0d.  Was working great.  I then simulated a
failure in the network by killing ggated on PC2.  gmirror saw the
problem, marked the array accordingly.  I then bought ggated back up
on PC2.  To my disappointment, ggatec had apparantly closed once there
was a failure (thought it may have tried to reconnect at a given
interval or something like NFS).  However, when I ran "ggatec list",
it showed "ggate0", and an ls of /dev showed a ggate0 as well....but
no ggatec process was running.  It's like when ggatec could not talk
to ggated anymore it just gave up and quit, not cleaning up after
itself at all...this can't be right...at least....I wouldn't think it
to be right.  Is it supposed to work like this (not cleaning up)?  If
so, I'm curious as to why.  On a side note, it would be awesome if
ggatec COULD have a background option...where if it can't contact the
ggated host to wait and try again after a certain time.

Thanks,
--Brian