partitioning and labeling geom devices

Shaun Jurrens shaun at shamz.net
Tue Jan 18 01:06:26 PST 2005

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 09:33:14PM +0100, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
#> On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 10:42:12AM -0800, Brooks Davis wrote:
#> +> > 	Argument "*" isn't numeric in subtraction (-) at /usr/local/sbin/diskprep
#> +> > 	line 232.
#> +> > 	disklabel: /dev/stripe/stripe0s1: No such file or directory
#>
#> This could be problem with bsdlabel(8) which was fixed some time ago.

	FreeBSD paracles 5.3-STABLE FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE #2: Tue Jan 11 11:48:08
	CET 2005     root at paracles:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PARACLES  i386

	paracles:/root#> disklabel stripe/stripe0s1
	disklabel: /dev/stripe/stripe0s1: No such file or directory

	paracles:/root#> ll /dev/stripe/.
	total 0
	crw-r-----  1 root  operator    4,  40 Jan 17 17:55 stripe0

	There just isn't anything there to label.  There's something here
after fdisk that is missing (at least in the traditional sense) and that is
the slices.  There are however slices created on the underlying mirror, at
least one of them:

	paracles:/root#> ll /dev/mirror/.
	total 0
	crw-r-----  1 root  operator    4,  37 Jan 17 17:47 plex0
	crw-r-----  1 root  operator    4,  42 Jan 17 17:47 plex0s1
	crw-r-----  1 root  operator    4,  43 Jan 17 17:47 plex0s2
	crw-r-----  1 root  operator    4,  36 Jan 17 17:47 plex1
	crw-r-----  1 root  operator    4,  35 Jan 17 17:47 plex2

	So as long as we're guessing, I'm guessing a bug in geom. Somehow it's
not presenting what bsdlabel needs, or it's writing labels where it
shouldn't be.  It could also be that it is telling whatever system magic
that created the two mirror slices, to create device nodes in the wrong
place or wrong abstraction level.

	Guess it'd be great to be able to dig a little deeper here... Guessing
isn't getting me very far...

#>
#> +> > 	So I could still use some suggestions... I'm not getting any wiser
#> +> > 	here. I have no "slice" devices or partitions.  Is this devd's fault
#> +> > 	or geom's ?
#> +>
#> +> I'd guess from the errors that diskprep has a bug in the case that your
#> +> device is in a directory in /dev, but there could be a config bug.  I
#> +> don't have time or resouces to figure out which.  Rather then trying
#> +> your rather complicated config first, try a minimal config and see if
#> +> you can get that working.  You can also read the source of diskprep and
#> +> try to do what it is attempting to do by hand to see where things work
#> +> and where things don't.

	Been there, done that, same results.  Stacking geom systems doesn't
seem to work.
#> +>
#> +> -- Brooks
#>
#> --
#> Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       http://www.wheel.pl
#> pjd at FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org
#> FreeBSD committer                         Am I Evil? Yes, I Am!

--
Yours truly,

Shaun D. Jurrens
shaun at shamz.net