crashdump support in geom_mirror

Michal Mertl mime at traveller.cz
Sat Jan 15 14:31:08 PST 2005

Poul-Henning Kamp píše v so 15. 01. 2005 v 22:53 +0100:
> In message <1105825795.8572.3.camel at genius2.i.cz>, Michal Mertl writes:
> >Hello,
> >
> >is anyone working on kernel crash dump support for geom_mirror? How
> >difficult is it going to be? I'm willing to invest some time doing the
> >implementation but I don't know where to start. It seems to me it will
> >be very different than normal crash dumps in controller drivers.
>
> It is impossible at present and unlikely to ever materialize.  GEOM
> requires context-switches to work.

Ok, thank you. Other than that - I'd like to say - "Good work, PHK a PJD
for GEOM and the mirror class". I don't consider this shortcoming really
important anyway.

Until PJD started writing his classes I hadn't realized the benefits of
GEOM. Have you noticed someone just uses gmirror with ggate in
production? Idea which, as I understand it, even PJD didn't have when
writing the classes. Simple yet efficient way to set-up the disks for
high-availability cluster. I don't know if it is possible but with some
more layers of gate and fox you could probably implement even
high-available SAN.

Michal