Hardcoding gmirror provider

Loren M. Lang lorenl at alzatex.com
Tue Feb 22 22:15:35 PST 2005

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 09:48:37PM -0500, James Snow wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 12:58:52AM +0100, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> >
> > ...and metadata at the begining of the provider still doesn't fix 'c'
> > partition problem and 'a' partition which starts at sector 0, which is
> > the default start offset in sysinstall.
>
> Is this the C partition problem you refer to?
>
> bsdlabel: partition c doesn't cover the whole unit!
> bsdlabel: An incorrect partition c may cause problems for standard
> system utilities
>
> Could this possibly be at the root of my boot problem:
>
> disk1s1: FFS bad disklabel
> disk2s1: FFS bad disklabel
>
> It only seems to be a problem if I try to use slices as gmirror
> providers and shrink them to avoid the last sector collision with the
> whole disk.

The c partition doesn't need to be shrunk by a sector since it's not
used as a gmirror provider, and only the slices that end at the end of
the disk/provider their slicing.  So a disk with two consecutive
slices, say a and d, only d needs to be reduced by 1 sector since a
doesn't end at the end of the disk anyways.