Hardcoding gmirror provider [was Re: Problem with migrating...]

Ralf S. Engelschall rse+freebsd-stable at FreeBSD.org
Fri Feb 11 05:40:00 PST 2005

On Sun, Feb 06, 2005, George Hartzell wrote:

> Pawel Jakub Dawidek writes:
>  > [...]
>  > It happens because ad0 and ad0s1 share the same last sector.
>  > To fix this you should use '-h' option as you did or you should recreate
>  > ad0s1 slice one sector smaller.
>
> Thanks for the help!
>
> That makes sense, which is always a nice feeling.
>
> Does that mean that the instructions at:
>
>    http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/mirror/
>
> in the section labeled:
>
>    GEOM mirror Approach 2: Single Slice, Preferred, More Flexible
>
> are incorrect and will result in the same kind of slice-table breakage
> that I was seeing or is there something going on that I'm not getting?
>
> Would it be more correct for Ralf to update the instructions to
> include a -h arg on his "gmirror label" step?

I've added a comment to the slice creation command that one just
substract one block or alternatively use the -h option on the "gmirror
label" command for hard-coding the provider. Thanks for catching this
subtle problem.

--
rse at FreeBSD.org                        Ralf S. Engelschall
FreeBSD.org/~rse                       rse at engelschall.com
FreeBSD committer                      www.engelschall.com