Is there a "disconnected" state for geom_mirror providers?

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Sun Apr 24 02:41:50 PDT 2005

On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 10:13:21PM -0400, Paul Mather wrote:
+> The provider ad0 did not show up as a "stale" provider of my "raid1"
+> mirror (from which it had disappeared when it was detached due to the
+> "TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA" failure).  I had to do a "gmirror forget raid1"
+> before a "gmirror insert raid1 ad0" would allow me to re-insert it so I
+> could perform a "gmirror rebuild raid1 ad0" to kick off synchronisation.
+>
+> What is the definition of a "broken" component?  What is the difference
+> between a "stale" and a "broken" component?

If gmirror gets an error for READ or WRITE operation, it assumes provider
is broken. This is very important - if it will be marked only as stale,
it will be connected, resynchronization will start, but because there
was an error on provider, it probably will be disconnected again and we
have endless loop.

Stale provider is when it is hot-plug and you remove it; when you use
'deactivate' command to disconnect it; when it doesn't show up on mirror
start, but later.

The rule is simple: when an error was returned on I/O operation, provider
is marked as broken.

+> If I were to detach and remove a hot-plug geom_mirror component and
+> subsequently re-attach it, will the component be considered "stale" or
+> "broken?"

Stale.