Big geom_raid3 problems

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Tue Nov 23 19:32:35 GMT 2004

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 07:44:14PM +0100, Ivan Voras wrote:
+> Im trying to use graid3 in production but I've encountered a big problem:
+>
+> I'm creating raid3 volume from three discs: ad4, ad5, ad6. All is well
+> (and I mean everything - removing, inserting, rebuilding the raid
+> device, using a filesystem on it) until I write BSD disk label on the
+> raid volume (/dev/raid3/geri3). At that time, it seems to write partial
+> labels to each of the data drives (like it should, presumably, since it
+> splits requests), but FreeBSD recognizes it! e.g. /dev/ad4a, /dev/ad4b,
+> etc. This by itself wouldn't be bad, but it seems to confuse the hell
+> out of geom_raid3. Here are the messages that it writes on subsequent
+> boot or loading:
[...]

This problem has been fixed in HEAD and should be MFCed soon.

+> Also, at one time, I accidentally wrote a disklabel to /dev/ad4 instead
+> of the raid volume, and it suceeded, though geom_raid3 detected it and
+> started synching the provider. Shouldn't the devices be locked or something?

If it is not opened, it is not protected. If you create a file system on
it and you mount this file system this should not be possible anymore.

--
Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       http://www.FreeBSD.org
pjd at FreeBSD.org                           http://garage.freebsd.pl