gmirror problems

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Mon Nov 8 04:46:09 PST 2004

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 01:05:13PM +0100, Terje Elde wrote:
+> On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 12:55:06PM +0100, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
+> > Ok, everything is clear now. You disconnected ad1, but ad0 was marked
+> > for synchronization. It that case gmirror cannot find any valid component,
+> > because the only one it can find is stale.
+> > So:
+> > 1. You should test it when mirror is in complete state (then you can remove
+> >    any component).
+> > 2. You can remove ad0 and put ad1 to make your test.
+>
+> Hi,
+>
+> This makes a interesting question pop up in my head.
+>
+> If his ad1 had been reformatted, burned or lost, if there any way he could try
+> to partially recover from this?

Yes, he can just:

	# gmirror create <name> ad0

Only new metadata will be written, data are not touched.

Then just add a new disk and synchronization will start automatically:

	# gmirror insert <name> ad1

--
Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       http://www.FreeBSD.org
pjd at FreeBSD.org                           http://garage.freebsd.pl