USB fash devices and dd

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Wed May 5 23:12:29 PDT 2004

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 06:16:10PM -0700, Gordon Tetlow wrote:
+> On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 09:15:17AM -0700, Gordon Tetlow wrote:
+> > On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 12:04:26PM +0200, Soeren Straarup wrote:
+> > >
+> > > Hi
+> > >
+> > > I was reading the vol_msdosfs thread and this is what i've seen IRL
+> > >
+> > > When dd'ing from a usb dongle to a file and then remove the dongle during
+> > > this operation, then a kernel panic might ocour. I can't tell where the
+> > > chain breaks. All this has been taken place on a 5.1-R box.
+> >
+> > Only "might occur"? I would have thought it would panic 100%! The correct
+> > solution to this problem is "Don't do that"
+>
+> Despite my flippant response, this is a FAQ. I have heard some rumblings
+> that this may be fixed One Day (tm), but I wouldn't hold my breath. The
+> problem is deep in the kernel and is non-trivial to fix (from what I've
+> been told anyway).

AFAIR I was having simlar problem with gbde on usb bar (da0) when file
system from this device was mounted. I was able to fix panic in gbde,
I was able to fix cam(4), but I wasn't able to fix UFS (maybe I should
try harder). Anyway, without mounted file system it should be possible
to fix this quite easy.

--
Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       http://www.FreeBSD.org
pjd at FreeBSD.org                           http://garage.freebsd.pl