new GEOM feature - geom_vol_msdosfs

Gordon Tetlow gordon at freebsd.org
Wed May 5 18:16:35 PDT 2004

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 05:30:55PM +0200, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 11:04:26AM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> +> In message <20040503175810.62d3f0fb.nork at FreeBSD.org>, Norikatsu Shigemura writ
> +> es:
> +> >	I made a geom_vol_msdosfs GEOM module.  It provides a feature
> +> >	like geom_vol_ffs.
> +>
> +> I think this is a great idea!
>
> I was wondering if slicers isn't an overkill here as we don't need any
> transformations.
> We could only connect a consumer to destination provider to be able to
> detect orphans and just create symbolic link to destination provider
> from under /dev/vol/... What do you think?
> In addition it will clarify the source provider if someone is interested.
>
> I can handle this if you agree with me and reimplement existing
> geom_vol_ffs to be able to handle many label formats in clean way.

By all means, geom_vol_ffs was basically a prototype for me. It worked
well enough for my needs. I chose the slicer api because it made more
sense to me at the time. There weren't any docs when I was writing
geom_vol_ffs and all the other modules seemed to use the slicer api.

In fact, feel free to rip the whole thing apart. But don't change struct
ffs, that was painful.

-gordon