GEOM class idea...

Gordon Tetlow gordon at freebsd.org
Mon Jun 14 22:16:52 GMT 2004

On Sun, Jun 13, 2004 at 07:14:11PM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> OK, here is one of the more nasty ideas for a GEOM class:
>
> Many of us read CD's into iso images, stick them on a harddisk and
> mount them from there when we need to access them.  This usually
> costs us a md(4) vnode gadget, and that is really a waste.

... description of grotty geom class ...

I can't imagine that all the pain that you are talking about is a
worthwhile effort when it's so easy to do a md backed file. I can
just about guarentee that users will have spare files and capacity
before they have a spare disk running around.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but what is the advantage of
going straight off of the disk? Are you trying to avoid the FFS
filesystem overhead?

-gordon