GEOM and retaste.

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 6 11:13:27 PDT 2004

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 10:55:54AM -0700, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
+> Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote this message on Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 13:32 +0200:
+> > I'm still fighting with 'stop' command for geom_mirror class.
+> > It should works, just like in my other class: turn off the given
+> > geom/provider/device.
+> > But for geom_mirror, I need to open all disks with r1w1e1 perms,
+> > so when I call 'stop' command and I close those disks, they are
+> > retasted and mirror is created once again.
+> > I don't want to touch metadata to mark all disks as inactve, because
+> > after kld module is unloaded and loaded again I want this mirror
+> > to be setup automatically.
+> >
+> > Any ideas?
+>
+> Add state to the geom_mirror class to know what mirrors are disabled...
+> then when they appear, you just ignore them...  and make sure the
+> memory used by the state table is destroyed upon unload... and then
+> reload, they'll be back...

Imagine that box have few years of uptime and there were many mirrors
enabled/disabled...

+> I can't think of any other way since geom itself doesn't know enough
+> information about the class to prevent you from tasting the devices
+> (and possibly coming up with only part of the mirror)...

But it does know that I was the one who made the last close of provider
(then retaste event is send) and it could pass some flag to taste
function to tell me about it.

--
Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       http://www.FreeBSD.org
pjd at FreeBSD.org                           http://garage.freebsd.pl